Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Bats at the Beach & Bats at the Library

On a visit to the library a long, long time ago I asked Jack to pick out a book. He randomly picked up a book from the shelf. It was Bats at the Beach by Brian Lies. We didn't know then what a treasure he'd found.

We read this book constantly and pored over the detailed paintings. We learned about bats and laughed at the buggy food they ate. My kids fell in love with the bats.

The day I returned the book to the library, I went to the bookstore and bought a copy. Jack in particular fell in love with the book. I'm not sure what it was about it that he loved so much, but he would look at it and read it over and over.

The story is adorable: the bats fly out for a night at the beach. They do all the things people do at the beach, but in their own nighttime, batty way. All told in lovely, soothing rhyme.

Our love of this book has not diminished over time either. On Sunday night I was trying to find a book for Jack to take to bed. He turned down four or five before he agreed to Bats at the Beach.

Then Monday when I was volunteering at my kids' school book fair, I saw Bats at the Library just laying on a table waiting for me.

I walked past it many times, glancing longingly at it each time until finally I couldn't stand it anymore. I grabbed a copy and bought it. My kids were delighted as soon as they saw it.

It has the same type of delightful paintings, only this time the bats sneak in through an open window at the library to read books, play games, and swim in the water fountain.

I was also delighted to see the reappearance of the bat from the first book who wears a bright yellow life jacket. (We call him "Bananee" because my kids think he's holding a banana. I can't bring myself to correct them.) Inexplicably, he's still wearing the life jacket.


But since this is a book about reading bats, I'm willing to forgive the inaccuracy.

These books are so delightful. I highly recommend them for any children.

Honesty Clause: I purchased both of these books at full price. Brian Lies, his publishers, and their PR machines have never heard of me. I just feel the need to help spread the word about his beautiful books.

1 comments:

susan said...

It looks like he's a little kid bat wearing water wings, which sort of makes sense for a beach outing. In any event, these look like fun books. I can't wait til my little guy is old enough to appreciate this sort of thing.