Thursday, October 9, 2008

Play-Doh Magic Swirl Ice Cream Shoppe

I have to tell you right off the bat that I'm Play-Doh phobic. I have all kinds of sensory issues and have a hard time making myself handle the stuff. Play-Doh brand playdough is the best. Homemade or other brands? I'm not going to touch it.

My kids, on the other hand, love it. So I had mixed feelings when I received the Playdoh Magic Swirl Ice Cream Shoppe to review. None of this is Play-Doh's fault. Or Playskool's, who makes the Ice Cream Shoppe.

Even with my Play-Doh aversion, I have to say that this is a cool toy. What I really like about it is that a lot of stuff comes with it. It comes with the ice cream maker (more on that later), plus dishes, "cones", spoons, and FOUR cans of Play-Doh. Even if you were starting with zero Play-Doh, this would set you up ready to play for a good long while.

Quinn was delighted with the ice cream maker and immediately set about making ice cream cones. The toy also makes sprinkles and different "toppings" to decorate your ice cream with. And there is not an inch of wasted space on the toy. There are molds all over it to make cookies, flowers, and other decorations. there is even a feature where you can create a cake with candles. It's pretty cool.

It does take a little strength to push the
Play-Doh through the ice cream maker.

I knew that I'm not the best judge of Play-Doh type toys, so I took it over to a friend's house. This friend and her kids play with Play-Doh a lot. I figured that we liked it, but I would see what some real connoisseurs thought.

They liked!

One of them unfortunately didn't read the warning on the box: "Fun to play with, but not to eat."

In her defense, they were creating some pretty delicious looking items . I think my friend had just as much fun as the kids did. I left the toy at her house so they could play with it some more. My friend reported the next day that her kids had woken her up at 7 a.m. to ask to play with it.

I'm not sure if that's a plus or a minus.

Naturally, you will have to feed your
children ice cream after they play with the toy.

If your kids like Play-Doh and like ice cream, then they'll like this.

Honesty Clause: I received the Ice Cream Shoppe for free. It retails for $14.99