Wednesday, January 7, 2009

LeapFrog Didj

We're big fans of LeapFrog around here. We have various LeapFrog toys as well as a Tag reader and a Leapster2. We use and love all of them. So I was delighted when I won the Didj from Nancy at Ageless Body/Timelss Mom.

The Didj is a handheld gaming system along the same lines as the Leapster, but aimed at older children, specifically those in the 6-10 year old range. The difference between the Didj and gaming systems like the Nintendo DS is that all of the games are learning games.

After Nancy sent me this game, I bought a Star Wars The Clone Wars game for it. My kids were immediately smitten.


The controls are really easy, especially if your child has played video games before. Sam and Quinn were able to both navigate around around the environment. I liked that the math questions on the Star Wars game challenged Sam. When I asked him if he liked the game, he said, "Yes, but it's difficult."

He pretty quickly got into the swing of things and was answering questions well. They dealt with concepts like the tens place vs. the ones place, and things on that level.

Quinn played next. Because the questions are multiple choice, he was able to progress, but it's really not a game intended for a three-year-old.


The only problem is that he really wants to play it. I think my kids appreciate the sleek design that makes it look less like a little kid's toy and more like a grown up game.

Jack, my five-year-old, was able to play it easily as well.


There are several online features. You can create and download your own characters, and parents can track their kids' playing time and subjects learned.

The system also comes with a game, so you can buy the system and not have to run right out to buy a game. But who are we kidding here? Your kid is going to make you buy them one of the many games available for the system featuring Indiana Jones, Spongebob Squarepants, Hannah Montana, or any number of others.

I think we're going to have fun with this.

Honesty Clause: I received the Didj for free in a giveaway from a fellow blogger. The Didj retails for $89.99. Games are usually $29.99 each.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

DIDJ at Marshals are now #29.98 with 2 extra Skins. They are $39.98 with one game included. Most games are 9.99 now and less online.

I got one but called customer support and they said my 3 year old should start with Leapster2 but I think he will use the DIDJ longer.