Sunday, June 21, 2009

Chiquita Smoothies

There are two things I'd like to share with you that relate to my family and smoothies.

(1) My six-year-old, Jack, does NOT voluntarily consume fruit. If he were to find a raisin in an oatmeal cookie, he would spit it out. He eats around raisins in his Raisin Bran. He refuses to eat melon, apples, citrus, and everything else we've tried. He will drink juice. Usually. Without his daily vitamin (and maybe with?), he is not meeting his nutritional needs for fruit.

(2) Even though my pediatrician suggested making smoothies for Jack, I am very lazy and have never been successful in consistently remembering to mix together fruit, ice, yogurt, or whatever else is involved in smoothie making. Fortunately, Jack seems resistant to scurvy.

Well. Along come new Chiquita Smoothies, with their full serving of fruit and 100% DV Vitamin C in each 8-ounce serving. They are fat free too, with only 120 calories a serving. See?


That takes care of part of problem number one. But what about problem number two? You need exactly three things to make these smoothies: the smoothie itself, a blender, and the ability to make ice. The smoothie is a frozen concentrate that you mix with a 1/2 can of water and two cans of ice. Then blend.


And even though the can says there are three servings inside, it makes a whole lot of smoothie—enough to feed an entire playgroup AND a happy mom and dad too. Trust me.


So they have fruit content and are fast and easy to make, but how do they taste? The smoothies are fruity and tart, not creamy like some people might prefer, but they taste really good. They come in four flavors: Mixed Berry, Peach Mango, Strawberry Banana, and Banana Colada. Strawberry Banana was my favorite. My husband sucked down a lot of the Mixed Berry.

But what about Jack? What about Mr. No Fruit? I'll tell you this: he was willing to taste it, and that's a big deal for him. He even came back for a second taste, leading me to believe that if I keep making them that he will eventually come to enjoy them. In fact, when he was trying our second batch (the Strawberry Banana), he said, "It tastes like candy!" I think that's a good sign. I'm going to keep making these and keep him sampling them.

And even though he already eats plenty of fruit, my youngest was probably our household's biggest smoothie fan!


Find coupons, recipes, and a contest to win a trip to Jamaica for a family of four on the Chiquita Smoothies website.

Honesty Clause: The Chiquita people told me they were going to send me some stuff about smoothies. I kind of expected a recipe card about how to mix Chiquita bananas and ice. Instead, they sent an almost comical amount of items including several of their smoothies, as well as an Oster blender with a smoothie "Blend N'Go" cup in which to make them. Plus they sent cups and tiny spoons. And napkins. So there you have it: full disclosure. Chiquita Smoothies retail for about $2.69 a can.

2 comments:

Tech Savvy Mama said...

I think I've seen huge packs of those at Costco recently and had been wondering about them. Now that they are Stimey (and especially Jack) approved, I'll have to pick them up. Wonder if there's a blender in the Costco freezer bag? Probably not!

ALW said...

Are you kidding me? Do you mean to say you got a free blender? I HAVE GOT to be a better blogger.