Thursday, July 9, 2009

Funky Monkey Snacks

We all know that I am on a mission to find nutritious food that my kids will eat. It is not a secret that at least one of my children will not eat anything that has grown out of the ground.

Because of this, I am willing to try out almost anything that has fruit in it and offers a different delivery system that my children might like. I recently tried out Funky Monkey Snacks, which are freeze-dried fruit snacks.

Each one-ounce bag of snacks contains three servings of fruit, not to mention that they are made of 100% real fruit. The snacks are certified organic, are vegan, kosher, and contain no added sugar, preservatives, colors, or flavors. They are also gluten-free.

Funky Monkey Snacks come in four flavors: Bananamon, Carnaval Mix, Jivealime, and Purple Funk. Their tagline is "Fruit that crunches!" and I have to say, they are right. They definitely bring a new texture to fruit. From my completely unscientific survey of children, I have to say that the Bananamon (banana and cinnamon) were by far the most popular. My personal favorite parts were the apple bits in the Carnaval Mix. I've always been a fan of dried apples. Yum.

I have to be honest here. My kids were suspicious of the snacks and all of them refused to try them. But I took the snacks to a large playdate and offered them up to the gang of kids there. They were a big hit with kids who like freeze-dried style food. In fact, we found a family that uses these as treats for Christmas stockings, Easter baskets, and the like.

I think if your child is reluctant to try new food, these may not entice them into a taste, but if you have an adventurous child (or a child who likes freeze-dried snacks), these are a great option for healthy snacking or for packing in lunches.

You can order Funky Monkey Snacks online or find them in select stores.

Honesty Clause: The Funky Monkey people (oh how I wanted to say, "The Funky Monkeys...") sent me a review package of each flavor of their snacks. One-ounce bags of Funky Monkey snacks sell for about $2.50 a bag.

1 comments:

Tech Savvy Mama said...

Ok, is it me or isn't all fruit gluten-free? Any-who, my child thanks you for letting him try the Bananamon ones which were clearly his favorite. You can use my children as test subjects anytime since they eat almost everything! Perhaps I'm raising goats...