Thursday, August 20, 2009

Blurt Boardgame

I'm always looking for board games that all of my kids can play together. There is something about the boardgame Blurt that has drawn them all in and made them want to play with it all the time.

The game is simple. One player rolls the die and reads the question that coordinates with that number off of a card s/he picks from the box. Players yell out the word that they think the clue defines. The first player to answer correctly moves forward the number of spaces rolled on the die.

For instance, "the day on which you were born?" Birthday! How about "painful awareness of having done wrong or failed in an obligation?" Guilt! There is a wide range of questions, including two different levels of difficulty. Obviously those two questions demonstrate the difference in the levels.


It is so basic, but it is really fun. My children really responded to the bright colors and non-cluttered game board. I put the game on a shelf in their playroom and was consistently surprised to run across my kids playing the game all by themselves.


There are rules to this game, which is intended for ages 7 and up. But the thing I liked about it was that you can easily adapt it to work with whatever age you have in front of you. My first game was with my 4- and my 6-year old. I read the questions and they tried to answer first. Surprisingly, even the younger one was able to get a lot of answers right first.

The Blurt instructions offer several alternatives to the game play as well, although we have stuck to a pretty basic level of play. I think this would be an especially fun game to play with older kids and teens. This game could be a lot of fun to play with other adults as well if you're tired of playing Pictionary at game night events. If you'd like to see the game play in action, watch game designer Tim Walsh's wife, daughter, and friend play Blurt on You Tube.

If you have a family that likes raucous, fun board games, Blurt might just fit the bill.

Honesty Clause: I received a review copy of Blurt at no charge. Blurt retails for $29.99.

2 comments:

Tim Walsh said...

Stimey!

Thanks so much for the review. I LOVE when Blurt brings families together for some fun!

Brady said...

I love Blurt! I've had lots of good times playing it with my family. For those interested in more, here's another review:
http://www.facadegames.com/blurt-game/