Sunday, August 30, 2009

Rat-a-Tat Cat by GameWright

My family has been trying out Gamewright games for a while now, and today we pulled out Rat-a-Tat Cat to give it a try. My almost-eight-year-old, Sam, and I sat down to play and we had a great time.

Reading the instructions was a little complicated, but once we started playing, it became very clear very fast. You have four face-down cards in front of you, you are allowed to peek at two of them, and you are trying to get the lowest number of points by drawing and swapping cards.

Both Sam and I figured it out quickly. Because this game is based on probability and guessing, I was afraid that it might be too abstract for Sam. But he was really good at it. I'm a little saddened to say that I didn't pull any punches and he beat me fair and square. See that smirk on his face up there?

This game is marked for ages 6 and up, and I would say that is accurate. I wouldn't play this game with a kid younger than that, and even a six-year-old might have some trouble. (Although I thought Sam would have trouble, and he clobbered me a multi-round game, so...)

The cards, per Gamewright standards, are adorable. Each one is a tiny work of art.


And lest you worry that this is a simple guess and remember game, Rat-a-Tat Cat has thrown in some "power cards" to change up the game and keep you guessing.


Rat-a-Tat Cat has won many awards, including one from Mensa. That's a pretty good endorsement, I'd say. The game definitely reinforces math and memory skills and teaches players a little bit about probability.

After trying out a few of Gamewright's games, I have to tell you that I am so pleased with this company. If I buy holiday gifts for your kids, chances are really good that they are going to get a Gamewright game from me this year. They are adorable, they are fun, and they teach skills without being obvious that they are doing so.

Read my other Gamewright game reviews: Ring-O Flamingo, Feed the Kitty, and Too Many Monkeys.

Honesty Clause: I received a review sample of Rat-a-Tat-Cat at no charge. It sells for $9.99.

1 comments:

CherylK said...

This sounds perfect for some of my grandchildren. Can you tell me if it's in retail stores or do I need to purchase it online?

By the way...great blog!