Saturday, November 14, 2009

New Wave Enviro Products

I have been packing school lunches for my three children for a few years now. Over the course of those years, I have used probably 2000 plastic sandwich bags and a similar number of juice boxes.

That is an awful lot of trash.

I'm a little bit ashamed to say that this is the first school year that I've really put an effort into creating no-waste lunches for my kids. Happily, New Wave Enviro Products contacted me to try out some eco-friendly products that I could use to help reduce the trash produced by my kids' lunches.

New Wave Enviro offers a lot of great products, including BPA-free water bottles and containers made from food-grade stainless steel. They also sell water dispensers and water filters both for drinking and bathtub water.

I tried out one of their stainless steel bottles and a couple of their plastic lunch box bottles. All of these were great sizes for my kids and perfect for their lunch boxes. And instead of packing them a juice box every day, with all of the waste that goes along with it, they can use these instead:


Here is an example of my best (almost) no-waste lunch yet. Yes, I know those GoGurt tubes get thrown away, but I'm new at this. Cut me some slack.


While I've been using Tupperware for things like sandwiches and crackers, New Wave Enviro also sent me one of their stainless steel food containers to try. At 6" x 4.5" x 2", it's too big for my kids' lunch boxes, but it would work really well for an adult. Or it's even big enough to fit enough of a meal to feed a couple of my kids at a picnic. Maybe all three.

It does fit in my favorite thing that New Wave Enviro sent me to try out, which is their new Bamboo Lunch Bag.
This thing is cool. It is big and soft and made entirely out of bamboo, which I've learned is the fastest growing plant on earth, making it kind of awesome as a raw material. I really like this bag. Even though it's a lunch bag, I've used it to carry other things as well because it is large and strong and all-around way cool.

There are lots of environmentally friendly alternatives to sandwich bags and juice boxes. This is just one of them. But they seem like quality products made with safe materials. There is a store locator page on their website to help you find their products, which seem to be mostly available at organic markets and stores like Whole Foods. You can also buy them online at Amazon.

Honesty Clause: New Wave Enviro Products sent me several products at no charge so I could try them out. They are as follows: the 12 oz Stainless Steel Bottle ($14.99), two of the .250 Liter Lunch Box Bottles ($3.50 each), a Stainless Steel Food Container ($19.99), and one of the 100% Bamboo Lunch Bags ($19). (Prices come from Amazon.)

1 comments:

lisar said...

We too try to be as no-waste as we can, and the Laptop Lunch set has been a good thing - not everything will fit into it neatly, and the compartments don't hold things separate as well as one might like, but it is appealing to see everything tucked into separate rectangles like a Swanson's TV dinner. Some people get all fetishistic about it - I think there is actually a Flickrstream devoted to the nutritious, aesthetically pleasing lunches people have composed for these things - so I feel obligated to put a piece of candy in there every time I use it to show I'm not one of THOSE moms. :-)