Thursday, June 10, 2010

Netflix on the Wii

I've been a Netflix user for a very, very long time. I think my family might have first signed up for it in 2000. Since then, there have been advances in ways you can access the movies in addition to the usual method of having them mailed to you. But never has it been easier than now that they are available for streaming through the Nintendo Wii video game console.

I have a two-DVD subscription, which means that at any one time I can have two Netflix DVDs in my home. But now that I can watch them through my Wii, I feel like I have an unlimited subscription.

It's really easy to get set up (every Wii can access the internet), and other than the Netflix subscription fee, it's completely free. All you have to do is request to have Netflix send you the disc, which you put into your Wii whenever you want to watch a movie.


It's incredibly easy and almost instantaneous. Netflix has a variety of television series and movies that you can choose from on the Wii, plus you can create your own "Instant Queue" online. You won't be able to watch every movie via the Wii, but any of them that are available to watch on your computer are now available through the Wii. All you have to do is go to Netflix.com and add them to your instant queue.

With your Wii remote you can browse, play, pause, fast forward or rewind instantly, rate movies, and remove them from your queue.


If you stop a movie partway through and exit the program, you can resume from your last stop point the next time you choose to watch. It's great.

My new favorite thing to watch on the Wii are television series. Last summer I spent the entire summer watching the entire series of Battlestar Galactica two discs at a time and cursing mightily at the occasional disc that only had one episode on it. Netflix is fast, but it still takes at least 2-3 days to get a new disc. On the Wii, you can watch as many episodes as you want without having to wait.

Impatience, meet Instant Gratification.


The interface is really easy to navigate and lets you browse through episodes to choose the one you want.


My husband has been watching his favorite News Radio episodes, and I'm in the middle of season one of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It would have taken me months to watch all seven seasons of that before, especially if I wanted to watch any other movies as well. Now I can watch things like Buffy, as well as the two DVDs that I still get and mail back the traditional way.

Really, I'm silly happy about being able to do this. I work from home at a kind of mindless job, so I tend to have the TV on while I do it. Now I have a limitless supply of movies and television shows to keep half my mind busy while I work with the other half.

I've tried to think of any negatives to make this review balanced, but honestly, I can't. I love it. I love it, love it! Buy a Wii, subscribe to Netflix, and happily live out your media saturated life. Just like me.

Honesty Clause: I purchased the Wii myself (well, my husband bought it for me for Christmas a couple of years ago) and I subscribe to Netflix with my own money. I am a Nintendo Brand Enthusiast, but my rave review is my own opinion.