Monday, July 12, 2010

Shrek Forever After Video Game

My kids have been trying out the new game based on the fourth Shrek movie, Shrek Forever After: The Final Chapter, and they love it.

The game is an adventure game, where your character explores, fights battles, and solves puzzles to outwit Rumpelstiltskin. You can play as Shrek, Fiona, Donkey, or Puss in Boots, with the option to switch to another character by pressing one button at any time during the game.

The game is pretty easy. My eight-year-old finished the game in just a few days, which surprised me. I thought it would be longer. He is more than pleased to replay it, however.

The game has a fun little sense of humor, much like the movies, and keeps players entertained. For instance, the character that reads the subtitles (which is something I highly approve of because it lets non-readers follow along), is some sort of German pig. I'm sure if I were a bigger fan of the movies, I'd know who he is. He amuses me nonetheless.

The game also uses some of the pop songs from the movies to make the battle scenes more energetic. It's fun.

My favorite feature of the game is that four people can play, provided you have controllers for all of them (in the Wii version, which we played, you need a nunchuck for each player as well). Second, third, and fourth characters can pop in and out at anytime with the touch of a button. I love this because all three of my kids can play at the same time.

Another great feature is that it auto saves at certain points in the game, so you don't have to worry about it.

My kids all liked it, and it was entertaining enough for my 8-and-a-half-year-old, yet still easy enough for my five-year-old. When I asked the older kid what he liked about it, he embarked on a fifteen minute explanation about special powers. He loves it.

Probably my biggest complaint is that a game that costs as much as this one shouldn't be so easy to finish. I feel like it should have taken my son longer to get through it the first time.

Shrek Forever After sells for $49.99 (except for the DS version, which is $29.99). It is available for the Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo DS, and PC.

Honesty Clause: I was sent review copies of Shrek Forever After: The Final Chapter.