Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dash Away Interior Detailer

I don't normally review cleaning products because I don't do a whole lot of cleaning, so different products don't make much of a difference to me. But when an email about Surf City Garage's Dash Away Interior Detailer came through my inbox, I stopped in my tracks.

See, my car is dirty. Like, dirty dirty. Like, there isn't a product that can clean the inside of my car dirty. I figured that if I tried Dash Away, the very least is that I would at least be motivated to clean my car a little.

The bottle claimed that it could clean all the interior surfaces of my car, including vinyl, fabric, leather, cloth, plastic, and even car seats. My response to that was a little weird, but I kind of wanted to defeat Dash Away and prove that my car was the Dirtiest Car in the World.

I failed. Dash Away won. (Also? Please don't judge me.)

Before
After
Okay. That's a lot cleaner. But that's just a seat. What about the gross ice cream mess back by Jack's chair?

Before
After
The thing about that cup holder is that I knew I could get it clean, but that I would have to work at it. With Dash Away, I sprayed some in there, let it sit for a minute, and then it wiped off easily. Really easily.

So it got out the ice cream, but that's a known quantity. What about the sticky mystery goo on Sam's side of the car? Whereas Lysol gets ice cream out, thus far it hasn't been able to get the mystery goo out of Sam's cubby. See? Ick. What is that?

Before
After
That second photo is a little dark, but it cleaned it perfectly. Next, I moved on to a stain on the ceiling. (And don't ask me how I got a stain on the ceiling, but it was fabric, so it seemed like a good way to test out the Dash Away.

Before
After—I think I made a clean spot.
Okay. It cleaned fabric. But what about carpet?

Before—something crusty and stuck on.
After
I was just about done and then I saw the back of the driver's seat—you know the part that your kid scruffs his feet all over all day?

Before
After
Seriously. That didn't even take any elbow grease. It kind of made me embarrassed that I hadn't cleaned it before.

The only thing Dash Away couldn't easily clean were my seatbelts, which had been stuck in the gears of my minivan's sliding doors and were consequently quite stained. Other than that, my car was spotless. Well, it was after I made Sam help me vacuum it.


Seriously. I don't think my car has been this clean since the day we bought it.

You know how sometimes you try something and it's great and you like it and you'd recommend it to other people but then you forget about it and don't buy more of it? Well, this I will buy again. It's a good product. It was nice to just take a vacuum, a cloth, and the Dash Away to the car and get it super clean.



Dash Away is available at auto parts stores such as Pep Boys, NAPA, Advance Auto, and O'Reilly Auto Parts. Find a list of locations where you can buy Dash Away on the Surf City Garage website. A 24 oz. spray bottle costs $9.99.

Honesty Clause: I received a bottle of Dash Away and that now-filthy yellow cloth for review purposes.