Friday, November 19, 2010

Kodak EasyShare M580 Camera

A couple of years ago my husband gave me a Canon Rebel for Christmas and my days of using point and shoots were over. I love my awesome camera. I don't really know how to use it very well, but I love it.

It is, however, quite large. There are times when I don't want to lug a large camera all over or there are times when I don't remember to take my camera with me, but I want a better camera than the one on my cell phone.

Enter the Kodak EasyShare M580 Camera. This is the camera I keep in my bag at all times so I'm never caught without a camera. For a point and shoot, I'm really happy with it.

The new cool thing about this camera is that it makes it really easy to share photos on social media sites and through email. If you take a photo that you know you'll want to post on Facebook, you can mark it as such right after you take it. If you take a photo of a friend's child, you can enter your friend's email address right there on the camera. Then, when you upload your photos to your computer, the pictures will automatically be sent to the places you designated.

The camera can share via email and on YouTube, Facebook, Flickr, and Kodak Gallery sites. The interface is really easy to use and it only takes a few minutes to set it up.

The camera also takes video, but I haven't used that option yet.

Also, it's purple. I like that a lot. (It comes in other colors too.)

When I went to BlogHer in August, Kodak invited me (and a lot of other bloggers) on a bus tour of New York. They gave each of us their EasyShare M580 with which to take photos on the tour. At first I was sad that I couldn't take my SLR, but I was really pleasantly surprised with the photos that the camera took.

Here are a few from that tour—taken from a moving bus.





I also tested the camera by taking a photo of my kid from all the way across a hockey rink—and through plexiglass.


It's good with details too.



This camera also took one of my favorite photos of all time.


Now, I do have to say that I am not 100% thrilled with the button placement. The button you use to take the photo is a little small, not raised, and close to some of the other buttons. Even so, I chose this point and shoot as the camera to keep in my bag at all times over the one I owned previously.

I feel good knowing that I have this camera with me so in case a great photo op comes up, I'll be able to get a good shot.

Honesty Clause: Kodak provided me with a free Kodak EasyShare M580 camera. They also took me on a free bus tour of New York City and fed me lunch. The camera sells for $169.